The Classroom

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - Posted by Ms. Mini at 4:40 PM
Let's be real, folks. This is where the magic happens. For my students, when they think back to elementary music, this will be the setting they always envision. For me, this is where I spend most waking hours of my day, August through May, so it's got to be appealing for my sanity's sake. That means COLOR! As exclaimed by a student of mine upon entering: 
"It's like a party in here"
and the truth is, that's exactly the experience I want students to have in music class [but let's be honest, it's not a reality].

Below if a brief visual tour of my classroom--I'll get around to more specifics/my structures and routines in future posts, but for now this is the quick view!




Putting duct tape on the floor was perhaps one of the greatest things I did last year. Notice all the room for dancing?!
Note: Those poofs from the ceiling are perfect visuals for kids to set up centers (blue center/yellow center, etc.
[Purple Banner: "The greatest way to spread some cheer is singing loud for all to hear!"] 


Any one of my students will tell you that I am a huge fan of stars. Each class earns a star every class--they're trying to collect green stars, but more on that later. The grade level sheets are for my weekly PBIS ticket winners--more on that later too!


Ya'll these sticks are magical. On the top of every chair I painted a number 1-24. Each student has a music number. My magical stick jar is a great way to choose helpers, do random assessments, and make quick groups for games or centers. Plus, it adds some elements of suspense for the kids. 



There is a lot of encouragement to S-I-N-G throughout my room.


Curious as to what some other music classrooms look like?